Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Halloween/El Dia de Los Muertos

I have always loved Halloween. It is one of the best nights of the year because you get to dress up and go out either to a party or trick or treating or both.   I haven’t been trick or treating in a while but I used to go every year when I was little. My first even Halloween costume was a pumpkin then I remember being the pink Power Ranger for three years straight. As I got older I remember being Meg from Disney’s Hercules, a nurse, a witch, and then Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It is so much fun dressing up and getting to be someone you are not for a night.
Since I am older, I have stopped going trick or treating. However, I plan on doing it in the future. I do love to see the little kids in my neighborhood, which there are not as many as considering we have all grown up and left the nest, trick or treat.
Halloween is also a great time during the year because that is when a lot of the networks on television bring back the old scary movies (I am not just talking about Halloween and its’ sequels.) I am talking about the classics like The Shining, House on Haunted Hill, and anything that involves Vincent Price. These are the true spine-tingling classics. I grew up watching these movies and have a great appreciation for them so it is exciting to have a chance to watch them again. It is also a tradition in my house that we have to watch It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown because I grew up obessed with the show and Snoppy.  
When I started to learn Spanish I grew an appreciation for El Dia de Los Muertos or Day of the Dead. This is a holiday the Spanish community celebrates from October 31st to November 2nd every year commemorating their dead ancestors. Instead of fearing the dead, they embrace death as a part of life. They believe that when you die you move on to bigger and better things. It’s an interesting celebration where they have an altar laid out in their homes with a picture of the deceased, food, flowers (Marigolds), candy, and the other things of the deceased. The Spanish community believes that during the night their ancestors’ spirits come back to Earth to eat and party. There are parades and parties from the streets into people’s homes and also in the cemetery. It is such a fascinating cultural event that I have gravitated to over the years.
 If you are interested about the history of El Dia de Los Muertos or anything else concerning this holiday click here:
                 http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dead/

No comments:

Post a Comment