Friday, October 22, 2010

The Importance of Revision


Revision is extremely important when it comes to writing a paper. Whether it is a formal or informal paper revision matters. Personally, I usually feel confident about my original draft (like everyone else), I tend to feel that I have written the best paper that could have ever been written (along the lines of Aristotle). However, my confidence diminishes when I look at my papers more closely. I find even the simplest mistakes such as spelling errors (stupid spell check) and extra words that were not erased.
After revising the paper, whether personal revision or from my peers, I find that my papers end up being more academically sound and less like a grade-schooler.  So I feel even more confident about my revised draft (s). I believe that the drafting process is a necessary one. We are all human and we make mistakes. Not everyone’s first draft is going to be perfect.  Not even the best writers get it right the first time.  I believe that the drafting process is making a difference in my writing. I take the comments from the teacher or my peers and make a mental note of the comments for future reference. The instructor’s comments are clear. I feel that the only difficulty I have with my papers is analyzing. I tend to over summarize everything and I do not analyze more. This is one of the things I am working on.

1 comment: